Thursday, January 16, 2014

Spelling Over The Phone





I've highlighted before how people love to spell to me over the phone, but I had a reverse situation recently and I almost hung up on the customer.

A woman called to ask me to look up a wine she bought before.  I looked up her account and saw that she purchased a red German wine and the grape is called Dornfelder.  It's quite popular and cheap.  It's a semi-sweet red wine around 9% alcohol.  Now, Dornfelder is spelled like it sounds.  The winery name is much more difficult to spell, but that's not the word she got confused by.

Woman on phone: "How do you spell it?"
Me: "Dornfelder.  D-O-R-N...
Woman on phone: "D..."
Me: "D-O-R..."
Woman on phone: "D-O..."
 Me: "D-O-R-N..."
Woman on phone: "D what..."
Me: "D-O-R..."
Woman on phone: "D-O..."
Me: "D as in dog, O as in Omega..."

You get it.  This went on for about 6 minutes and I almost pulled all my hair out.  

I hate Dornfelder.

Like my blog?  Share it with others at localwineevents.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment