Friday, January 31, 2014

It's Not as Glamorous as You Think - Part 2




For quite a few years, I wore my own clothes to work.  At my first wine job, I learned the hard way not to ever wear anything I loved to work.  The showroom was built by hand and it was rather rustic.  By rustic, I mean that there were nails sticking out everywhere.  I ripped so many of my favorite skirts and blouses there that I wanted to sue for damages.

Then of course, there is the fact that I work with wine.  Red wine in particular is hard to get out of clothes when you spill it, splash it or worse, dribble on yourself when spitting.  Yeah, gross, is right.  You haven't experienced gross until you have spit into a spit bucket and it splashes back into your face - a real novice move.  My first week at my second job, I spilled an entire bottle of wine during a tasting onto my white shirt and pants.  Wine away can only do so much.

In my second wine job, I started wearing my own clothes until the uniform came along.  I tore a lot of pants from bending down to pick up bottles and cases as well as ripping them on whatever they would catch on.  Then the uniform came around.  My summer shirt was like a Hooters shirt.  When I lifted my arms to catch a box from overhead, it became a belly shirt.  Crates caught on them and created pulls.  Very attractive.  

My winter shirts are ripped, stained and just old.  That's what happens when they only replace your shirts once every never years.  

Pants are another story.  I'm a girl.  My thighs rub together,  This creates friction and eventually wears down the pants where they rub creating worn fabric and eventually holes.  If I don't pay attention when this happens, it could be a very embarrassing work situation, especially if I bend down and tear them more.

Oh and when you see me, the chances that I'm wearing a dirty, unwashed shirt is a high percentage.  I only get a handful of shirts and only wash one day a week.  Just tell me when I offend you.

My job is uber-glamorous!

Like my blog?  Shout out for me at localwineevents.com.






No comments:

Post a Comment