Wednesday, January 8, 2014

A Tale to Break Your Heart





I'm usually really snarky on this blog, but I'm going to switch gears and tell you a story about something that happened that broke my heart.

I have a regular customer who loves good white wine in the $70-100 range.  Her husband loves good red wine in the same range.  She's quite a handful, always telling me her tales of woe, but this last visit was more that I could handle.  

You see her husband is really sick.  Dying.  Just a matter of months now.  I only met him once, but he's the type of customer I deal with regularly who likes good wine and will take all my recommendations.  She told me that this was it.  This was his last New Year's and I was helping her plan it.  Quite a big responsibility.

She asked me for Tignanello.  I was out of it and upset that I didn't have any to give her.  It was all he asked her for.  So, I gave her some other great Italian reds of that caliber and gave her some Chassagne-Montrachet's and Puligny-Montrachet's.  I know he liked my recommendations and only hope he enjoyed them.  

I held it together while I helped her shop, but when she left I had to excuse myself.  I don't know how she was holding it together, because I couldn't.  That night, I told my husband about my experience and I let the waterworks really fly.  Some people suck to deal with, but I know that day, I helped her and helped him get through one more day drinking some great wine.

I tried to think of a great ending for this, but this is reality.  A woman will be losing her husband and all he has to get him through the rest of his days is some Johnnie Walker Blue and some great Italian reds along with the love his wife is giving him.You don't know his name, but keep his family in your prayers for a painless journey from this world


No comments:

Post a Comment