Monday, January 6, 2014

Que Syrah, Shiraz





Shiraz and Syrah.  They sound different, but they are the same grape even though they are stylistically different.  Old world countries like France call it Syrah and new world countries like Australia call it Shiraz.  They are one in the same, but it always causes such confusion for the mass public. This is not to be confused with Petite Sirah, which is a different grape altogether. 

A woman came into the store and asked me where my Syrah was.  I asked her if she cared what country it came from.  She told me "I don't want Shiraz.  I want Syrah.  I know they are similar, but it has to be Syrah.  I was specifically asked to bring Syrah, not Shiraz."

So, now I go into my spiel about how they are the same, but she doesn't care and wants Syrah.  So, she gets Syrah.  A $25 one that I recommend.

Ironically, this woman is married to one of my high end customers and she actually is the decision maker on the wines.  I e-mail him, he forwards it to her, she responds back to him and then he orders the wine from me. 

Like the blog?  Vote for me every day at localwineevents.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment