Thursday, January 9, 2014

Last Call





Closing time at the wine store is very ritulalistic.  There are a lot of things that need to get done before we lock the doors.  This includes getting customers rung and out the door BEFORE closing time.  It's actually illegal to use the register after a specific time and if do use it, and get audited, say good-bye to the license.  So we give people plenty of warning.  When it's really crowded, there may be as many as 5 closing announcements, but on most days, it's 2-3 announcements including a 10 and a 5 minute get-out warning.  Just because you are in the store, doesn't mean you have all the time in the world.  This is not Wal-mart.

Once the doors are locked, that's it.  People try to bum rush the exit door.  We usually refuse them when they get to the register just for being an asshole.  Then there are the beggars outside who are watching us herd the final few out.

"I know what I want."
"I have exact change"
"I just need a 6-pack."
"My watch has 2 minutes left."
"Don't be a bitch."

Yeah, flattery will get you nowhere, honey.  We're open for 13 hours a day Mon-Sat and 10 hours on Sunday.  Get here on time or go to the bar.

Like me, like my blog at localwineevents.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment