Thursday, June 12, 2014

My First Wine Gift at Work

 
Over the years, I have watched my colleagues be rewarded by customers with gifts.  The beer guys always received items like cigars, growler glasses, beers you can't get locally, etc.  The liquor guys received bourbon, ties, scotches, etc.  

The wine people?  We get shafted.  I can't say I've received nothing.  I have received cash tips from a few customers in my early years in the wine business, but it was mostly from hosting their dinner or event.  I had one customer who gave  me a really nice cash gift for Christmas years ago and I had a customer who gave me a bracelet off her wrist after I gave her some top-notch customer service and I remarked how pretty he bracelets were.  It was like a $2 hand-made beaded bracelet, but I wear it frequently and cherish it.  But, no customer had ever walked into the store with a gift specifically for me.  

Until yesterday.  It's weird how much high-end wines I deal with.  I've always imagined that after I delivered one of my guy his wine wroth $120,000 that he wold reach down and grab a bottle worth $200 and say, "Thanks.  This is for you."  But, that's never happened except in my delusions.

Yesterday a customer came in to pick-up a special order.  He wanted  a Cabernet about $12 that I ordered just for him that he had at a local wine bar.  His wife told him before he got there, to give me a bottle to try.  Appreciated?  Elated!  He purposely came in with an agenda to do something nice for me.  And, he will go down in history as the first customer to ever give me a bottle of wine from his personal stash.

Like my blog?  Vote me a fan favorite at localwineevents.com.


1 comment:

  1. This is very nice, Debbie! Although you’re not receiving gifts similar to what your colleagues are receiving before, costumers are still showing their gratitude to you. This probably means that you are really performing well, and have been providing quality service to your customers. And now, you already had your first wine gift. Kudos!

    Irvin Moss @ ShopBrewmeisterCA

    ReplyDelete